Kentucky Supreme Court Overturns Life Sentence for Louisville Man Convicted in Murder of Father and 3-Year-Old Daughter
LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY — The Kentucky Supreme Court has overturned the double murder conviction of Kevon Lawless, a Louisville man sentenced to life in prison without parole for the 2020 shooting deaths of Brandon Waddles and his 3-year-old daughter, Trinity Randolph, outside their family home.
The court’s decision, issued Thursday, ruled that the trial judge committed reversible error by refusing to declare a mistrial after jurors learned a key witness had been arrested for perjury during Lawless’s trial.
Conviction Thrown Out Over Juror Misconduct Concerns
Lawless was convicted in 2022 of two counts of murder and one count of burglary for the August 14, 2020, shooting, which prosecutors said was planned as an act of revenge.
Court documents show Lawless’s then-17-year-old girlfriend allegedly lured Waddles out of his home, where Lawless was waiting with a gun. He opened fire, killing Waddles and his young daughter, Trinity, who was later found in her playhouse.
The Kentucky Supreme Court ruled that the trial judge, McKay Chauvin, erred in rejecting the defense’s mistrial motion after jurors discovered that a prosecution witness — identified as the man who drove Lawless to the scene — had been arrested for lying under oath.
One juror wrote in a note that they could “no longer make a decision truthfully,” prompting Lawless’s attorneys to call for a mistrial. Instead, Judge Chauvin replaced the juror with an alternate and allowed deliberations to continue.
The jury ultimately found Lawless guilty and sentenced him to life imprisonment, but the state’s highest court said that decision was tainted by the jury’s exposure to information that should not have been considered.
Attorney General Vows to Retry the Case
In response to the ruling, Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman vowed to retry the case and deliver justice for the slain child and her father.
“The slaying of 3-year-old Trinity Randolph is personal for me,” Coleman said. “I stood with her mother at her Disney ‘Frozen’ coffin, and I’ll never forget the princess shoes she wore. It’s heartbreaking that her family and this community must relive that awful day.”
Lawless remains in state custody pending further court proceedings. Prosecutors confirmed Friday that they intend to bring the case back to trial.
According to state corrections records, Lawless also has previous convictions for attempted murder and assault, adding to the long history of violence that prosecutors say underscores the need for renewed prosecution.
As Kentucky prepares for a possible retrial in one of Louisville’s most heartbreaking double homicide cases, officials continue to express their determination to ensure accountability for the deaths of Brandon and Trinity. For ongoing coverage of Kentucky court rulings and public safety news, visit ChicagoMusicGuide.com.
