Michigan Mother Pleads Guilty to Killing 3-Year-Old Son to ‘Make Room’ for Child with New Boyfriend
PORT HURON TOWNSHIP, MI – A Michigan mother has admitted to killing her 3-year-old son after years of reported abuse, confessing that she wanted to “make room” for a new child with her boyfriend.
33-year-old Amanda Mae Maison pleaded guilty this week to second-degree murder in the 2018 death of her son, Matthew Maison, who investigators said was “systematically abused” by both Maison and her boyfriend, Maurice Houle, for nearly two years before the boy’s death.
The Incident and Abuse Discovery
Authorities found Matthew dead in his bed inside the family’s Port Huron Township home on February 18, 2018. According to investigators, the boy had visible bruises, a black eye, and multiple signs of prolonged mistreatment.
Detectives learned that Matthew had endured ongoing physical punishment and neglect by Maison and Houle. Witnesses, including the child’s grandfather, had reported suspected abuse to Child Protective Services (CPS), but Maison later retracted her claims and cut ties with her father, preventing further intervention.
Guilty Plea and Court Admission
During Wednesday’s plea hearing, Maison confessed to participating in the abuse and hiding her son’s injuries from both CPS and law enforcement.
“Amanda [Maison] stated that Maurice [Houle] physically abused Matthew during their relationship, and that she willingly participated in the intentional concealment of Matthew’s injuries,”
said the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office.
Maison also admitted to personally injuring her son, saying she pushed his head into a wall during a ‘military time out’—a form of punishment that forced him to kneel with his hands on his head.
Following the plea, her bond was revoked, and she was ordered held in the St. Clair County Jail until sentencing. The second-degree murder conviction carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
The Investigation and Co-Defendant
Investigators said Maison and Houle had been in a relationship from 2016 until Matthew’s death, during which both took part in repeated acts of cruelty.
In interviews, Houle initially blamed Maison, claiming she was responsible for discipline, but later admitted to enforcing harsh punishments, including “military time-outs.” Prosecutors said both defendants also accused one another of attempting to smother Matthew with a pillow shortly before the boy’s death.
Motive and Prosecutor’s Argument
Prosecutors alleged that the couple had discussed having another child together but felt they couldn’t afford to raise Matthew alongside a new baby. Evidence suggested they “planned to kill Matthew to make room for a child of their own.”
District Court Judge John Monaghan permitted testimony regarding the couple’s prior abortion, saying it demonstrated motive and their mindset before the killing.
“Matthew is finally beginning to get the justice he deserves,”
said Sheriff Mat King. “Although this is not the end, I am confident justice will be served.”
Justice for Matthew
The St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office said the case has spanned seven years, involving multiple detectives dedicated to securing justice. Houle still faces first-degree murder charges, and Maison has agreed to provide truthful testimony against him as part of her plea deal.
“Over the last seven years, the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office has been unwavering in its commitment to bring justice for Matthew,”
the department stated.
Maison’s sentencing is expected in the coming weeks. The case has reignited calls across Michigan for stronger CPS oversight and accountability in child abuse investigations, especially in cases where prior warnings were ignored.
What are your thoughts on this case? Share your opinions in the comments below.
