New Hampshire Man Shoots Sister-in-Law and Niece Dead During Fight Over Basement Living Arrangements, Police Say

New Hampshire Man Shoots Sister-in-Law and Niece Dead During Fight Over Basement Living Arrangements, Police Say

BATH, NEW HAMPSHIRE — A 73-year-old man is accused of gunning down his sister-in-law and niece after an argument about living in a basement, according to investigators in New Hampshire.

Authorities say Charles “Chuck” Readey was charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Cindy Moody, 67, and her daughter Kristal Moody, 39, inside a home on Tyler Way in the small western New Hampshire town of Bath.

Gunfire Erupts Inside Family Home

Police said they received a 911 call around 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday reporting shots fired at the residence.
When officers arrived, they discovered both victims suffering from fatal gunshot wounds.

Also found at the scene was Readey — still holding a firearm. According to the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, he initially refused to drop the weapon when officers commanded him to do so.

Bath Police Chief Todd Eck called out to Readey by name, prompting the suspect to respond, “I’m over here.”

When Eck told him to lower the weapon so officers could help the victims, Readey allegedly replied chillingly:

“You can’t help them now.”

Eventually, after his wife intervened, Readey put the gun down and was taken into custody without incident, officials said.

Confession and Grudge Over Basement Living

According to court documents obtained by WCAX and WMUR, Readey admitted to the killings, telling investigators that he had grown angry and resentful toward his sister-in-law Cindy Moody, who had been living in his basement for nearly three years.

Investigators allege Readey first shot Kristal Moody through a closed door, then turned the gun on Cindy moments later.

Autopsies conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner confirmed both women died from gunshot wounds to the head and torso.

Court Hearing Scheduled

Readey appeared remotely for arraignment on Wednesday and is being held without bail pending a probable cause hearing scheduled for October 22.

The New Hampshire Department of Justice said no additional suspects are being sought, and the weapon used in the double murder has been recovered.

The Bath community remains shaken by the brutal killings, which investigators say stemmed from a long-simmering domestic feud. For ongoing updates on breaking local and national crime stories, visit ChicagoMusicGuide.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *